Monday, February 10, 2014

Adeptus Mechanicus Inquisition Lord Part II

Well 3 posts in a row, improving, let us see if I can keep this up!

Again the base of this conversion was The Necron Lord VargardObyron I acquired via trade. I know this model has a fairly static, but in my mind’s eye I see an Inquisitor Lord leading from behind, controlling the battlefield like a chess master, and only entering the fray when his or her “force” would be the critical turning point justifying the risk.

One of the first things I visualized was a nice tattered cloak, with the hope some freehand could be pulled off. Now I understand my limitations, especially with scratch building, and after a couple horribly wasteful attempts at green-stuffing a flowing cloak I fell back to my old standby. KITBASHING! (BTW Did you know Wikipedia has a entry for everything?) Anyway digging though my bits boxes for a solid base I came upon the Chaos Terminator Lord cloak, exactly the solid base I was looking for. Clipping it a bit to remove the Terminator back plate, and trimming with a dremel down for a flush fit to Obyron’s back I had a solid start. Greenstuffing the cloak, following the lines already started was much simpler, and using a couple Purity Seals from the newer Space Marine Vehicle kit gave me a nice looking clasp. Additional I found a good sized Adeptus Mecanicus Icon to brand the Salvaged Body as Imperial.




 His arms were also a wreck it turns out as well, and oddly Necron warrior or Immortal arms were not a good fit. A quick size comparison and I found the older metal Ustabti’s were however, and using the joints from a couple extra Warriors made it work. I carefully drilled out the right hand to allow it open, so I can place his pole-arm in a at rest position.  


Next I cleaned up the head, removing the miscast eye and replacing it with from Optic from a Servo-skull. The grasping Arm can also be seen, using the Forearm from the Ustabti. I wish I had a set of the Finecast Ushabti’s with Great Weapons, but I only had the metal models. BTW as a note for scale the newer Ushabti’s with Great Bows are about 25% larger than the older figures.

The Final set of conversions slash repairs included dremeling out the tabard, part of the abdomen and replacing it with greenstuff cables, and you’ll see two stages of final abdominal armor I went with. In the end I am not in love with it, but it’s good enough for now. I also added "lifts" to his feet. For some reason, either additional miscast or pose, the front of his feet were wafer thin, causing him to lean forward, ruining the deliberate, strong pose I wanted.

As always feedback and suggestions welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment