Monday, February 20, 2012

Micro Art Studio Shoulder Pad T.R. Review

Micro Art Studio Shoulder Pad T.R


Let me start by saying I have been trying to find a good set of Pre to Mid Heresy shoulder pads to help me short cut the conversion process for second and third wave of my “Tech-Terminators”. Originally scratch built from plasticard, attached to the torso instead of the arms, they are larger then anything else I have seen so I knew this was going to be a challenge.


Purchasing the MicroArt Terminator Scale shoulder pads through eBay for $9.50 from a popular seller I was pleased to get them in just 2 days... 

Excellent packaging, great looking blister, so I was pretty excited.

Once opened a I noticed yhey were well cast, clean without mold lines. No mold release. However a huge problem became apparent..

Take a second to look at the photos and let me know if you see the issue…

Basically Micro-Art Studios released a terminator shoulder pad that not only was cast completely solid, requiring a lot of additional work to prepare for your army, they appear way too small!

Also if I grind out all the needed material, it would force me to remove almost 50% of the material to make a standard terminator arm fit, making the base bit very thin. Clipping the arm is a possibility, but the risk there is you have to be sure on the pose and positioning.

Rating systems are subjective, I understand that..
Looking at it as a whole Micro Art Studios gain points for a excellent looking bit, but loose so much for giving me something that is incomplete and most likely too small for a unconverted terminator, let alone use for my projects.

I’m going to give this 2 out of 5 stars.

2 comments:

  1. I was looking up info on these parts for a conversion project I am working on.

    Out of curiosity, are you sure that these aren't intended for use with standard space marine arms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skippy, good question!
    When I contacted them I was told it was for "large" marines... maybe I was mistaken in thinking they, like a few other companies were referings to terminators

    ReplyDelete